These muffins freeze beautifully. You can keep them in the freezer and take them out as you need them and they always taste fresh. Try them warmed in your toaster oven!
- 2 cups whole spelt flour (or King Arthur Multi-purpose GF Flour + 1 teaspoon xanthan gum)
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- ½ cup freshly ground flax meal (ground from approximately ¼ cup of whole flax seeds)
- 2 teaspoons aluminum- free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg (or 1 Tbs. ground flax + 3 Tbs. warm water –allow to sit for 15 min.)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or half milk, half yogurt)
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen organic blueberries
Optional additions: chopped walnuts or pecans, shredded coconut, lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon whole spelt flour
- 1 Tablespoon palm sugar
- 2 Tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with unbleached parchment liners.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl or in a blender, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla, and maple syrup. Pour into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Streusel topping – combine butter and flour in a small bowl mash together with a fork to combine. Add sugar, oats, and seeds to butter-flour mixture. Stir together honey and water and add to mixture. Combine well.
- Divide the batter among the muffin liners, sprinkle each with streusel topping and bake 22-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a rack.